Thursday, June 18, 2009

Better handljng of UAC

Something I came across today when setting up Typemock on Win7. I forgot that I needed to run as administrator for the configuration to be able to edit the registry.

If you're not running VS as an admin (or the configuration tool) it brings up a nasty dialog which looks like something really bad has happened.

If you read the message it does indicate what was wrong (well, it implies it) but it also says you should contact Typemock about the error. It's be nicer if it had a more useful message, stating that you can't edit the registry and that you should ensure the application is running in Administrator mode.

1 comment:

  1. This is an issue we've been encountering for a while, and the next version will have some handling of this by displaying a more intelligeable error message.

    Doron

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.