Hi Guys and Gals,
I plan to develop a new tool for testing your WCF services. I've got very little experience in WCF (although it was enough to realize that I need a testing tool), so I'm asking for suggestions. What do you usually need to test when working with WCF?
For example, when I just got started, I used code copypasted from various sources. All I was getting was 404 Not Found, while the problem was that the server and client parts were configured differently. Wouldn't it be nice to have a test that would reveal that problem and provide a suggestion on how to fix it?
This new tool would use some core functionality of Ivonna, however, it would be a different product. Ivonna will be refactored into the core assembly (used in this WCF tool) and the WebForms-related piece. Perhaps this new product would be given a new name. So, I'll be happy to hear your suggestions!
Thanks for your help
artem
Marantz Volume Monitor v2
5 weeks ago
Hi Артем,
ReplyDeleteCan you please give some more details about scenarios of Ivonna.WCF usage. I will describe how we test our WCF stuff, and perhaps you can explain where Ivonna would fit. So here's our environment:
1. Few small WCF services
2. Unit (not integration) tests are written without using WCF at all, otherwise they would not be true unit tests.
3. To run integration tests on a test server we have a small piece of code that hosts all our configured services. The host is open in TestFixtureSetup and closed in TestFixtureTearDown.
4. When running quality assurance, we host our services using Windows service application.
Currently none of the services is hosted using IIS. It probably means Ivonna is not needed at this point. But we consider hosting using WAS in the future. What will be the place for Ivonna then?
Вагиф a.k.a. object.
Вагиф,
ReplyDeleteRight now Ivonna for WCF is merely an idea -- I haven't had any spikes or explorations yet. So, I was thinking about asking people what they need. I could think of two things: testing that a service works at all and testing that it does the right thing. The latter is usually covered by the unit tests, so the most important thing seems to be testing the setup.
In particular, I discovered (the hard way) that I need to make sure that this particular client code is "compatible" with this particular WCF configuration, and if not, what's wrong with it. So, I thought that this might be the first thing to implement. What do you think about it?
Currently Ivonna works with Asp.Net, but that doesn't mean you need IIS or any other Web server in order to make it work: everything happens in the same process (and in the same AppDomain). So, the new tool will not require a host as a separate process.
Ivonna is more suited for integration tests, but since everything is in-process, you can use the Isolator to stub any part of the system. For example, you can stub everything except the service itself, and verify that it correctly sends the values provided by the underlying system.
Do you think you could benefit from such a tool in your current situation? What do you think you need that you can't do with the existing setup?
Artem